Get an overall ranking score for a business from various resources in one place.
I started building this app because I wanted to be able to rank a business on many factors, say I am an employee looking for a job and trying to figure out what businesses I might like to work for. It is a good start and covers a few basic variables. Google, BBB and Yelp, as well as the company’s turnover rate of employees, the credit score if known. You can assign weights to these factors to determine how much you care about it in the final ranking.
So it is a start I would like to add more variables like business awards, other related rating api’s. You will need to get Google api, Yelp Api and BBB token.
Fell free if you have any interest to help build it add a pull request.
The Employ Rating System is a web and cli application designed to calculate and display the overall rating of businesses based on various data points. The application fetches ratings from multiple sources like Yelp, Google Places, and BBB, and calculates a weighted average to provide an overall score for a business.
- User Interface: A web-based UI that allows users to input business details and view the calculated ratings.
- Configurable Weights: Users can configure the weightage given to each rating source.
- Log Management: The application logs all the rating details and API responses for debugging and transparency.
- Data Persistence: Uses YAML files to store configuration settings.
- Downloadable Logs: Users can download the log files for offline analysis.
Winodws or Linux
- Python 3.x
- Docker (optional)
- Conda (optional for environment management)
- Clone the repository
git clone https://github.com/bigsk1/employ.git
- Navigate to the project directory
- Create a virtual environment
python -m venv .venv
- Activate the virtual environment
- On Windows:
- On macOS and Linux:
- Install required packages
pip install -r requirements.txt
- Run the application
- Install Conda if you haven’t already.
Create a new Conda environment
conda create -n employ python=3.11.0
Activate the Conda environment
conda activate employ
- Follow steps 1, 2, 5, and 6 from the “Using Python’s built-in venv” section.
- Docker image
docker pull bigsk1/employ:latest
- Use the provided
docker-compose.ymlfile to start the container.
- Use a docker run command instead, add additional -e as needed
docker run --restart=always -p 5000:5000 -e YELP_API_KEY=yourkey bigsk1/employ:latest
- Open your web browser and navigate to
- Input the business details and configure the weights for each rating source.
- Click the “Run” button to fetch the ratings and calculate the overall score.
The application uses the following environment variables for API access:
These can be set in a
.env file in the project directory.
You need to sign up and get the API keys and tokens to use the those options
- Integration of more APIs to enhance the business ranking system.
- Incorporation of awards or recognitions that could positively influence a business’s score.
- Adapt the tool for job seekers to evaluate potential employers.
- Add manual entry fields for other factors important in business evaluation.
- Implement industry-specific ranking systems with different weights or criteria.